Thursday, February 04, 2010

almost half way

I'm almost half way with the apron. It's going really quick. I'd love to have this complete by the end of the weekend. While I don't have any plans Saturday and Sunday I do have plans tonight and I didn't go into the office today so no train stitching. That will put me back.

I LOVE the rug hooking videos on YouTube. They are really helping quite a bit. I have been pricing all the supplies that I need and the start up costs can be small if you buy a quilting hoop rather than a hooking stand and don't buy a wool cutter. Wow those cutters are sure expensive! I purchased a book yesterday that give recipes for dying wool and I have experience with dying my own stuff so I think that is the path I would take at some point. That will also keep prices down. So now I'm waiting for my books to arrive and I will purchase a starter kit I think with the design printed on the linen with the precut wool. Then I'll only need the hook and hoop. Then I'll see how it goes. I might not enjoy the process or find I really just don't have the time for one more hobby. :-)

Thanks for everyone's input!

7 comments:

Alice said...

You sure hit the nail on the head! Not much time for one more hobby. I look forward to seeing you go through the process though. Your apron is looking great. Love the blues.

Kathy said...

I can't wait to see some of your rug hooking. My grandmother used to do some.

Margaret said...

It's exciting to see you zipping through the apron piece! As for rug hooking, I'll be anxious to see how you do. Maybe if you show off your progress, I'll get back to trying it out too!

Deb said...

You're making such fantastic progress on the apron. With the rug hooking, I'm just going with a quilt hoop too and trying to avoid purchasing anything that I don't think I'll need at least in the beginning. I plan to start with a kit. The teacher told us to show up with the hoop and scissors. That sounds cheap to me. Although I'll probably come out of the class a little lighter in the wallet.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Great apron progress, Margie! I can't wait to hear about your rug hooking - if you love it, and find it doable without taking a class, maybe I'll give it a go, too! I love hooked rugs....

Siobhán said...

Love your progress on the apron, Margie! I can't wait to hear what you think of rug hooking.

woolwoman said...

Hi Margie - You can hook with a hoop and lots of older women seem to be able to hook huge room size rugs with only a hoop - I did not stick with the hoop even thru my first project - I could not seem to hold the wool, hoop and the hook. I agree that you do not want to spend hundreds of dollars on equipment and then decide you don't like it or don't have time for it but I also wanted to mention that there is lots of nice gently used equipment to be had on Ebay or if you could find a rug hooking teacher - they often have used equipment to sell to new students - it's just like quilting or any other extensive hobby - you graduate up into nicer more expensive cutters, stands, frames, hooks - etc. I am not interested in dyeing either - don't have time and don't want the mess so I'm very lucky to have a 3rd generation rug hooker as a good friend and mentor here in my city. Plus I am pretty involved with it so I travel to rug workshops all over and have enough projects and wool for the rest of my life - so much so that I have actually sold some of my canvases and rug projects with the wool. Please contact me at mbryan10@comcast.net if you have any questions you think I could help you with. Good luck - Mel