I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a good reproduction stitcher. I can't stand to stitch in mistakes because the original was stitched that way. So I think I'm going to stitch a Beatrix Potter "inspired" by the original. I've already made a couple of changes, the one last night being major. I totally changed the bottom left motif because as charted it was way off. So I pulled out my Ackworth book and found a close motif and stitched it my way. That change of course is going to set off more changes so at this point it really is my piece. I also want to add more motifs that are small to fill in the emptier spaces or maybe put in the alphabet here and there. And of course it will be my initials and date on it.
So thanks for the inspiration Beatrix but I've got to be me! :-)