Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quaker Casket finis

Quaker Casket by Sampler Cove
32 count Lakeside Linen Maple Syrup
Magpie Twitters silk floss by Vikki Clayton Hand Dyed Fibers
one over two




It took many hours yesterday to install the stitched pieces into the casket. I'm not sure if you can tell, but I purchased museum glass for all five panels. It cost $85.00 for a 24x30 inch piece. But the results are so worth it, there is no glare at all and when looking at the panels, it's hard to tell there is glass there at all. I posted photos of the two panels that I changed from the pattern. I added my initials to one of the end pieces in one over one and I swapped out the family initials and changed it to the alphabet.

I'm so pleased with this piece, it's a true heirloom. A stitching friend told me about another casket pattern and she is going to scan a photo of it so I can see it. If I like it, I'll start to search for the magazine it was published in. I also found another pattern - it's a Spanish style band sampler and I'm looking for that one also. I would love to be able to swap out the panels every couple of years or so. But really any band sampler could be adapted with just a little work. I have many band patterns so I'll be set for many years to come. :-)

The rest of the weekend will be about sewing the pugs Halloween costumes. We are going to a party next Sunday. This year I'm even going to dress up so I had better get going! I have a ton of sewing to do today.

21 comments:

Gwen said...

WOW!! Congratulations on your casket. It is just lovely. Great job!

mainely stitching said...

WOWIE! It's stunning. The glass was a great investment, too. Wow, wow!!!

Jinger said...

Beautiful!!!

Smart thinking about the glass!

Sharon said...

Margie, that is simply divine! Fabulous job!

Cindy F. said...

Margie, This is incredible!
Absolutely beautiful...stitches and your casket finish:)

Anonymous said...

Yep, my prediction was totally right: This finish is SPECTACULAR!! I think if this were mine, I'd never get another stitch done because I'd simply want to sit and admire this finish!!

What a fabulous accomplishment! It's just stunning!!

Rowyn said...

It is truly beautiful. The glass may have been costly, but as it will be an heirloom I think it was a good investment.

Sandra said...

Oh Margaret, this is just gorgeous, I have been watching your (very rapid) progress over the past few weeks, but the end result is so much better than I ever imagined. Are the caskets available to buy easily? I would love to get one if I could afford it.

Sandra said...

Sorry Margie, I don't know why I called you Margaret, well I do really, I've just been writing to Margaret in Spain - sorry again.

Karoline said...

It's just stunning Margie, congratulations

Nicole said...

Wow Margie!! That is gorgeous! Congrats on a wonderful finish!!

Anonymous said...

Margie,
I have bookmarked you in Google Reader and have been following the progress of your Quaker Casket and am stunned by how fabulous it is! Without a doubt, it is one of the loveliest finishes I have EVER seen! Congratulations - you should be so proud!! brdstitcher at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

I forgot to ask you where you got the casket - it evidently has to be specially made. Thanks, brdstitcher at gmail dot com

Christine S said...

Just absolutely, positively gorgeous!! Congratulations!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Gorgeous...its a true heirloom :)

Katrina said...

Gorgeous, congrats on the finish!

Kristen said...

W-O-W! That is stunning!

Kathy said...

That is an awesome piece. You did a fantastic job stitching and mounting into the casket. You are right you cannot tell there is any glass on it.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, your casket finish is absolutely incredible - heirloom indeed! Just awesome :D

Anonymous said...

stunning finish, i love the casket, so luxurious. I wouldn't be able to stop admiring it!

Michelle said...

Can you tell me where you ordered the casket from?